NM: I can’t believe [recently-deceased spouse] NF would have spoken against me…
There are five “roles” within a Narcissistic Family structure:
- The head parent/spouse – Will be an overt N with a virtual God-complex within the home, or a covert N who controls the family using an overt N spouse as a shield. Usually a Malignant Narcissist who may take extreme measures to maintain the status quo.
- The secondary parent/spouse – A weaker-willed enabler/codependent of the overt N, or the overt N thug and scapegoat of a covert N who will set up the secondary as the public head of the family. The Overt N may also be a Malignant Narcissist, though not as consistently malicious as the Head N.
- The Golden Child – A common term referring to the preferred child within a family. Anointed as such by the head of The Family.
- The Scapegoat – The child who bears the brunt of any family turmoil. Will often have the most expectations placed upon him/her.
- Other children – In families with more than two children, the non-GC/SG children can usually move up and down the spectrum between GC/SG. If a GC(less likely) or SG separates from The Family, one of the other children will be placed in that role.
The above post very clearly and concisely describes the structure and dynamics of a narcissistic family. Please click on the link and read the entire post. If you recognize this structure, you very probably are in a narcissistic family. ABN